You may have seen recently that we, just like the rest of the world are becoming obsessed with the video-sharing app TikTok. You may be thinking what is it and should it be a part of my digital strategy?
TikTok was created in 2015, as the new “Vine” or “Musical.ly”, it is a video sharing app incredibly popular with teens and young adults, and is a great way to show what you’re brand is about. In Q1 of 2020 TikTok was the most downloaded app with their main user changing from young adults, 17-24 to adults over 24. The app allows you to post anything from comedy, tutorials, dance challenges, lip-syncing videos, the list goes on! And with the popularity on the rise amongst all generations it is the perfect time to add TikTok to your digital marketing strategy.
Sydney based lolly maker “Sticky Australia” or @stickyaustralia on TikTok are a frequent on the For You* page with their videos of their creations and the process that goes into making them, with a whopping 3.9 million views and nearly 200K followers with just 29 videos! This is then be transferred to sales, profile views, website traffic and social interactions on Facebook and Instagram.
This isn’t the only Another brand doing with a similar image on TikTok is @email@example.com, also known as The Ice Cream Man, who has over 1.2M followers and 18.4M views.
Even serviced based businesses can be creative and show case your brand and office! Why not, participate in what is trending on the app, like the Blinding Lights dance challenge, ranking games, office skits, using lip sync voice audios to recreate some iconic TV or movie moments, like Mr G from Summer Heights High. Just remember to be relatable and funny, show that your office environment is warm and inviting and fun. Engaging in what’s trending will grow help boost your account organically.
There are three main ways that your brand can market on TikTok
Once you have created your own profile and are ready to start uploading relevant videos you can;
1. Work with influencers, to spread content to a broader audience
2. Pay to advertise on TikTok – it is very early days for TikTok advertising – there certainly isn’t a market yet like there is for YouTube. However, TikTok may become more popular and established over time.
3. A combination of running your own channels and work with influencers to spread content to a broader audience. You might try some of the ideas listed below on your own channels, or you may suggest that your influencers create and share these kinds of content.
Challenges are an essential feature of TikTok’s community. TikTok’s users love taking up a challenge and making and uploading videos accordingly. These challenges are usually given a #-tag name, to make them both memorable and easy-to-find. Brands can encourage hashtag challenges on TikTok.
You can use your TikTok channel, to create user-generated content (UGC) by encouraging your customers to share videos of themselves using or interacting with your products in some way, you’re likely to get a high buy-in.
Some simple tips?
1. Use popular hashtags – they don’t even have to relate to the video you are uploading, a lot of people on the app just use the trending hashtags to get on the for you page, and you can do the same – and make sure to always tag your video with fyp or for you, as this will boost your chance of getting more views
2. Take advantage of the funny voice and visual filters on the app, these are unique to the app and they add layers to what you are creating.
3. Make multipart videos – do parts 1-3, by doing this more people are likely to follow you or go to your profile so they don’t miss the full story, TikTokers like “@ali.shir” have done this and have gained 4M followers and over 40M likes
4. Be silly! – Don’t take yourself so seriously, TikTok isn’t the same as Facebook or LinkedIn, people want to see the authentic, real you, the one that has fun while working, they don’t need to see credentials.
5. Use your profile space to promote your brand, website and link to other social media profiles
Whether you are make-up artist, an ice creamery, or have a corporate office, you can get your workplace involved with TikTok and get your brand out there, the world of audio sound bytes and dance challenges awaits.
*For You page = the main explore page that people scroll through to find content they enjoy.